It's time to review another Restaurant

It's time to review another Restaurant

Monday, March 22, 2010

My Love For Italian Rice Balls

For our Birthdays growing up as a kid, my Mom would make us Rice Balls, to this day, it is by far my favorite dish, I have such fund memory's of my Mom cooking Rice Balls, with the side dish of Peas and Onions, and Stuffed Artichokes. She would only make them for our Birthdays, and since there was 7 kids, we had a chance to have them often.

When my Mom would cooked them, she said that if any cracked on her, she would let us kids eat the one that was cracked. My Mom got to be very good at cooking them, without cracking them. So I invented a Rice Ball Cracker, it was an old mop stick, with a small tennis ball attached to the end of it.

My Mom would cook, and then sit down to read a little and this is when I made my move, like a Chinese Ninja, but I was more like a little fat Italian Ninja, moving with the speed of light. I would wait till my mom was reading, and with a whack of the stick, the rice ball would crack. And when My Mom, got up to check her food, I would stroll in, and say, oh my a cracked one, but sometimes it would back fire, George my Brother would happened to walk in, and he too knew the Cracked Rice Ball rule, and would grab it with no mercy, and it would be inhaled in seconds. My Mom, never knew this trick, until 1993. 

 



This past March 18th was my 52nd Birthday, and my wife Cristy treated me to a 3 night get-a-way at a ocean house, with a pool.





Now, anyone that knows me, know I love to swim, in fact my nick name was Bob the Bobber, here is a photo I took, in a Pool, with my Rice Balls, yes, I was in my glory, rice balls, in a pool, dear God, I thought I died and was in Heaven. 





 I made 35 Rice Balls, they came out great, but not like my Brother Johns or my Sister Margaret's. My Mom, was number one in making them, but now she is making them for the Saints and Angels. She passed away in December of 2004, but in 1997, she made her last batch of Rice Balls with me in my home in New York, she was so happy to be making them with me, this is a memory that I will treasure the rest of my days.





On my head Stone, I would like it to read " Here lies Bob, he loved his Wife, he loved his family, he loved his dogs, and he loved Rice Balls"
















No comments:

Post a Comment