It's time to review another Restaurant

It's time to review another Restaurant

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday Gravy

When my Sicilian Grandmother Mary Demarco was growing up in Sicily at the turn of the century, she said that her Mom would make a Sunday Gravy, with Meat, and at times, this was the only meat the family would have all week, so she would rub some sauce on her apron and wear it the next day on Monday morning, this would to let her friends know that The Demaco's Had a Hearty Sunday Gravy.

My Mom, Marie Lissandrello,would make Sunday Gravy pretty much every Sunday, and she would put in the sauce, Italian Meatball's, pork neck bones or spareribs, Italian pork sausages
with fennel,and of course Bracioles.








We would sit at our dinner table and enjoy this Sunday Feast, and my Dad
would love to have his red wine with dinner, and play his Italian Records, and one of my favorites was Al Martino and Jerry Vale.

And it would not be a large Sunday Dinner without our German Neighbor Harold Dermett, sneaking over to try whatever dish my Mom had cooked. he would always say " Oh,I just eat dinner" but would have a full plate of my Moms food.
And if we were super lucky, my Mom would have made one of her outstanding Apple Pies for dessert, I have yet to taste a Apple pie like hers, but then again, there is my brother Johnny's Apple Pie, and that is to die for. If she did not make the pie, we always had A&P Brand Neapolitan Ice Cream in the freezer, YUCK .... and my Dad would have Peaches with Red Wine.
How I miss my Mom's Sunday Gravy and cooking, and I miss Her too.


That is me on the Left, and my Brother John on the Right with my Mom 1965

No comments:

Post a Comment