It's time to review another Restaurant

It's time to review another Restaurant

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

When I was growing up on Long Island New York, my Mom would always make her famous Honey Balls also know as Pignolata or Stufoli for Christmas, a sweet little dough ball that is deep fried in oil and then submerged in hot honey and cooked, so that the honey is infused into the dough, then she would add Candy sprinkles and sit them on a large platter for all of us to enjoy.


My sister Margaret took over when my Mom could no longer make them, and would always bring me up some when I lived in upstate New York. Now that I am living here I figured that since I am a chef, I would make my own, so last year, I made my very first batch of Honey Balls for Christmas, and it was a instant success, with my family and friends here in Merida.
So, here is my Moms recipe for all to enjoy.

My MOM’S HONEY BALLS (Pignolata or Stufoli)

2 cups flour
½ stick of butter
2 t Baking Powder
3 eggs beaten
½ t salt
3 cups canola oil
1-¼ cups honey
Candy sprinkles



In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. make a well in the center and fill with the wine, ½ c of oil, and the beaten eggs. Gradually scoop small amounts of flour from the outside edges of the well and move to center, combining all ingredients with your fingers as you work.
After dough is of even texture throughout, knead it on a lightly floured surface for 3 minutes or until smooth, soft and elastic.

Roll out dough to a thickness of ¼ inch. Cut into thin strips, then roll each strip into a pencil shape with your hands. Cut off nuggets ¼-inch long. To form little balls, stretch each nugget slightly over your middle fingertip as you roll it lightly.

Heat honey in a large frying pan, to accommodate the amount of honey balls you have. Add the honey balls and mix.
Transfer to a large platter and add sprinkles.



1 comment:

  1. Great post Bob!! I miss those days of Mom's Christmas cooking. The one thing we won't be missing this year are the Honey Balls. Richard picked up a tray from the local Italian grocery store. YUM!!

    Merry Christmas to you and Cristy. We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete